Nepal successfully hosted 13th South Asian games along with historic 206 medals, including 51 golds on its talley. Nepal ranked second after India on the table, also broke the previous record of 31 golds in 8th South Asian Games in 1999. This record has also been broken after 20 years.
Here’s a list of Nepali athletes and their records in 13th South Asian Games:
1. National swimmer Gaurika Singh has become the most successful athlete with a record of 9 medals including four golds. This is the best individual performance for any Nepali athlete in the South Asian Games.
2. Women’s Cricketer Anjali Chand has made a world record with her bowling figures of 2.1-2-0-6 in T20I format, playing against Maldives in her debut match.
3. 17-year-old Subash Tamang won two golds in individual and team events at Golf. He holds the record of winning double individual gold for Golf in the same event and first gold for Nepal in Gulf.
4. Mandekeji Shrestha and Ayesha Shakya of Karate made two golds in the same edition.
5. Ayesha Shakya won a gold medal in Taekwondo (Pumsey) in an individual competition.
6. Sanju Chaudhary became the first Nepali woman to win gold in weightlifting.
7. Sangita Dhami won a gold medal in wrestling competition in Janakpur. This is Nepal’s first gold in wrestling.
8. Sony Gurung became the first player to win gold at the Triathlon for Nepal.
9. Santoshi Shrestha has made history by winning gold in the ten thousand meter race of athletics. She became the first Nepali women’s runner to win gold in the 10,000 meter race.
10. For cycling, Rajesh Magar, Nishma Shrestha, Lakshmi Magar and Buddha Bahadur Tamang made history by winning gold medals.
11. Minu Gurung has become the first Nepalese woman boxer to win gold in boxing by winning. It was the first gold Nepal won in the SAG after twenty years.
12. Nepali football team winning the Gold at 13th South Asian Games has drawn the record for the highest title winning team Pakistan. Both the teams have now won gold for four times.
13. The success of women’s volleyball in the 13th South Asian Games is historic winning Silver.
14. This time Nepal also won a silver medal in women’s kabaddi.
15. Pushpa Bhandari won the silver medal by completing the women’s marathon in 3 hours and 5 minutes. This is the biggest achievement of Nepal in the women’s marathon so far.
Special mention to all the participants who represented Nepal in the 13th South Asian Games and gave their special effort